Greenwich Power Station

« Back to the Portfolio

Greenwich Power Station is a standby oil, gas and formerly coal-fired power station on the River Thames at Greenwich in south-east London. Despite being over one hundred years old, the station is still available as a back-up electricity source for the London Underground. The station is an early example of a steel-framed building with a stone-clad brick cover.

The station was originally designed by the London County Council  architects department, and built in two stages between 1902 and 1910, to provide power for the London Tram Network and London Underground which were being electrified at that time.

The station originally had a coal-fired boiler house and an engine room. This housed four compound reciprocating steam engines driving flywheel-type alternators with an output of 6,600 volts and 25 hertz. By 1910 the advantages of steam turbines were well known and four steam turbine alternators were installed in the second stage of the station's building programme. The reciprocating engines installed during first stage were replaced by steam turbines in 1922.

Long O Donnell Associates was awarded the EDF Energy CDM Coordination services framework contract for a period of up to 5 years commencing in October 2008.

The contract required Project Services to include CDM Coordination on EDF HV networks including infrastructure, rail and airport projects.

On this project Long O Donnell Associates provided the CDM Coordination of security fencing and surveillance cameras.

Client

EDF Energy

Project Value

£1M

Project Duration

2008 - 2013

Services Provided

Archilles Logos RICS Logo
Greenwich Power Station,

Greenwich Power Station is a standby oil, gas and formerly coal-fired power station on the River Thames at Greenwich in south-east London. Despite being over one hundred years old, the station is still…